Sunday, 23 July 2017

Half Marathon Training: Week 4

Mid-run traffic jam

My hip was a bit better this week, but still not awesome. I've been doing lots of stretching to try and work it out, which has helped keep the sharp pain at bay.

Here's what I got up to this week:

Monday: Lululemon Run Crew.  I somehow found myself in the fast pack and struggled to keep up for a bit, but managed to catch up and hang on for the second half of the route. After we made it back to the store we did a few sprints on Bulwer Street, which helped stretch the hips out a little; maybe I should go back to doing strides at the end of my runs. [4.7 km | 28:41 | 6:04/km]

Tuesday: REST. I had been hoping to go to the track with NTRC, but my hip was feeling really sore and I didn't want to aggravate it. I also moved into a new position at work this week and I spent a lot of brain energy taking in as much information as I could during the day, so I took the evening to veg.

Wednesday: Joined Tribe for their crew run, as usual. We did a pretty quick route East along Front to Jarvis and then back along the MGT, finishing up the hill towards Spadina and Bremner. We stopped to take a group photo at the new dog fountain in Berczy Park, which is super cute. Definitely going to go back and have a closer look. [5.5 km | 31:40 | 5:41/km]

Thursday: I decided on Thursday to break up my 9k by joining Bond Running for their evening 5k (weekdays at 6:30pm), and then following it up with a solo 4k. I showed up a couple minutes late to an empty store and was worried everyone had left without me, or I had the time wrong. Nope! Turns out I was the only one who showed up... Talk about awkward. I ended up heading out anyway with the guy leading the run that day, and we did a super quick (and INTENSELY HUMID) 5k up through the Annex. Once we got back to the store I chugged some electrolytes they'd put out, and ran the remaining 4k of the evening through the Entertainment and Financial Districts, miraculously without dropping my pace too far. [9.6 km | 55:22 | 5:43/km]

Friday: Fridays are a cross training day for me, and I opted for some yoga instead of a more intense workout because I just felt tired and needed some gentler movements. I went back to Community Yoga at Lululemon for the first time in a few weeks, and had a great hour of Vinyasa practice; the perfect mix of challenging and relaxing.

Saturday: My long run Plan A was to join NTRC for 15k at 7:15am to beat the heat. Didn't happen. Plan B was to join the PDRR Ladies at 9am and then run home after if I still needed to make up a few kilometres. Didn't happen. I guess I just really needed to sleep in, and by the time I eventually crawled out or bed, had breakfast, got dressed, and was out the door, it was almost 11am. Luckily it was an overcast day so I didn't have the sun beating down on me, but it was still pretty humid. Ran a nice square route West towards High Park, down to the lake, then back up Spadina and finishing at King. I had one water bottle with me, but thank God there were multiple water fountains along the way since I needed to refill fairly often. I was hoping I could go longer without breaking out my FuelBelt, but with these long summer runs I don't want to get stranded with an empty water bottle and no fountain in sight. [14.3 km | 1:30:05 | 6:18/km]

Sunday: Tribe Yoga Jam. It was overcast, warm but not hot, and I finally found a fairly flat spot for my mat! I had a really good practice today, and even though I wasn't terribly active or productive for most of the rest of the day, I'm glad I still took the time to hang out with other people this morning, if only for an hour.

On to Week Five! Hoping to get back to the track this week.

xx, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment