Sunday, 16 July 2017

Half Marathon Training: Week 3

Braids and yoga with my gal Jess

Week 3! This week was tough from a motivation standpoint.  I was VERY sore, feeling borderline injured, after Tuesday, and it definitely translated into my lack of mileage this week.  It's still early days in this training cycle though, so I am not worried.

Here's what I got up to this week:

Monday: We had a long and tiring day at work, and the last thing I wanted to do was speedwalk home, quickly change, and then head down to Lululemon for a run, no matter how short it was going to be.  Instead, I unrolled my yoga mat in my living room and did Target Practice from Fitness Magazine.  I didn't feel this workout as much as I thought I would, but at least I was moving and strengthening something.

Tuesday: I joined NTRC at the track (Tuesdays at 7:30pm, Central Tech) and had my butt kicked. It was hot, and I was way out of shape for any kind of track workout, let alone the difficult one we did.  About 3/4 of the way through I started to feel some twinges in my left knee and right hip so I sat out a couple laps, and eventually hobbled home.  I'm not used to the springiness of the track, so hopefully I'll build that up this summer. [7.8 km | 34:46 | 4:25/km]

Wednesday: I was incredibly sore all day from Tuesday's track workout, but I still joined Tribe's Crew Run because they were doing a trial with New Balance's new FuelCELL shoes! We went out to Cherry Street and back, and had I not been so sore I think I could have really picked up the pace in these shoes since the route was so flat.  The shoes are nice and light but still have enough cushioning that I didn't feel as if I was running directly on the pavement; I would definitely look into these for a track shoe/speed work option. [4.8 km | 26:02 | 5:20/km]

Thursday: I decided not to do my planned 8k in favour of doing some foam rolling and getting into my quads and hamstrings with my trusty lacrosse balls. I was still feeling pretty sore, and I definitely don't want to get injured this early in the game.

Friday: REST.  This week felt like it took forever, so I wanted nothing more come 5pm on Friday than to curl up in bed with Netflix.

Saturday: I decided to switch my long run days to Saturdays so I'm not rushed to get my kilometres in before yoga on Sunday mornings.  I ran through the new Trillium Park for the first time, and was super impressed!  It wasn't very busy, probably because it was still fairly early when I went by, but it has such beautiful views of the islands and of the city I would love to take a bike ride down there and have a picnic by the water.  I'll definitely include this on more of my long runs. [11.3 km | 1:10:10 | 6:10/km]

Sunday: I got up early and headed down to Tribe Yoga Jam early for Aylin's braid bar.  I am TERRIBLE at my own hair and have a grand total of five hairstyles I can do (two of which are a ponytail and a messy bun), so I was thrilled to get a sweet little braid crown done. It kept my hair out of my eyes during the sweaty yoga practice, and I felt so pretty I kept it in all day.  Today's yoga practice really worked on our arms, which I am definitely going to feel tomorrow.

On to Week Four!  Hopefully I won't feel so pitiful this week.

xx, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment