Monday, 3 July 2017

Half Marathon Training: Week 1

Sunday at Champlain Lookout

Last week was my first week of training for the 2017 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon, which I'm running for the second time at the end of October.  I finished the race last year with a time of 2:15:09, and this year I'd really like to get myself under that 2:15:00 threshold and as close to 2:10:00 as I can.

For training I am obviously going to be doing a lot of running with the different run crews Toronto has to offer.  I'm also going to cross train at least once a week, and do yoga at least once a week (even if it's just a few quick poses before bed).  I'm going to try not to pressure myself too hard - I will put in the work, and if I really need an extra rest day, I will take it.

Here's what I got up to this first week:

Monday: Lululemon Run Crew (Mondays at 6:30 pm, 318 Queen St. W).  We did a speedy loop up through Chinatown to Harbord, and back down through Kensington to Queen.  It was a lot hotter than I expected, but it felt awesome to get my legs moving after taking a week off from running following the Toronto Waterfront 10k. [3.86 km | 23:00.01 | 5:58/km]

Tuesday: Pilates Butt Burner Full 30 minute workout - eFit30. I pulled this YouTube workout from my Pinterest (probably where most of my at-home workouts will come from - I am really bad about pinning things and then never doing them, so now is my chance to work through my exercise board!). I want to strengthen my glutes so they can propel me better when I'm running, helping me go that much faster. This workout did a lot of work in the gluteus medius, which is a muscle that doesn't get worked through running alone, but when it is strong it helps stabilize the glute structure and can prevent injury (allegedly...I am by no means a professional). I found it hard to stabilize in the core in a lot of the movements, probably because my core muscles are so weak.

Wednesday: I biked to and from work, then to and from CityPlace, for a total of 10 km of urban biking for the day. I am slowly getting back into urban biking in Toronto on my beautiful but rickety 1974 Raleigh Sports.  In the evening I joined Tribe for their 5km Crew Run (Wednesdays at 7 pm, NW corner of Spadina and Fort York); we went up Portland to Queen, across to Strachan, and back down to Fleet Street and across Fort York Boulevard.  I really look forward to Wednesdays with this crew! [5.06 km | 28:07.9 | 5:34/km]7

Thursday: The 8-Minute Better Back Workout. I took much longer than eight minutes to move through the five poses, but it felt great to relax into them.

Friday: Off - I left work early and drove to Ottawa, which took us seven hours thanks to long weekend traffic.  All I wanted to do when I got to my parents' place was have a glass of wine and go to sleep, which is exactly what I did.

Saturday: Off - Canada Day! No formal exercise, but we walked around town pretty much all day. Ask my granny hips about it.

Sunday: Hiking in Gatineau Park.  We drove up to Pink Lake and started the loop counter-clockwise from the lookout rather than from the parking lot.  The 2.5 km loop took us a little over an hour and a half, with lots of stops to sit on rocks, chat, and look for frogs, fish, and turtles.  A nice easy hike on a beautiful day.  After finishing up at Pink Lake we drove up to the Champlain Lookout and went about 400 m down the loop beside the lookout before turning back to the car.  Then we went for ice cream at La Cigale in Old Chelsea, because I lead a balanced lifestyle.

Week One down!  It's gonna be a long, sweaty summer.

xx, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment