Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Caroline vs. Hong Kong (Day 4)





Our last day in Hong Kong was very easygoing, since I was still sick.  I wanted to take it easy, since the following several days in the Philippines were going to be nothing but meeting the family.

We got up mid-morning and headed over to Central for brunch (can you tell yet that we love brunch?).  Clem found a great spot in Soho called Brunch Club, and we happily joined the small queue outside.  Because we were only two people we only had to wait about ten minutes before being seated on a tiny patio in the back.  Clem ordered Eggs Benedict with salmon, and I, eager for some greens, ordered the Brunch Club Salad; both of us also ordered coffee and fresh juice.  Service was very slow; I expected a bit of a wait because it was Saturday brunch, but we were absolutely starving by the time our food arrived.  Clem's eggs were expectedly delicious, and my salad (more like a cheese and charcuterie plate with some greens) was fabulous, and something I haven't been able to get a lot of in Tokyo.  The meal was a little more expensive than I generally like when I travel, but, slow service aside, I really enjoyed it; definitely head there for brunch if you're in HK.

Across the street from Brunch Club was Hazel & Hershey, a cute-looking coffee shop.  We browsed their selection of coffee accessories before deciding we needed more caffeine, so we sidled up to the bar and ordered a couple drinks.  We sat outside on their patio for a while, sipping coffee and writing postcards.

The rest of the day was spent shopping.  We wandered around Central for a while in the hopes of finding some small souvenirs we liked, but with no luck.  Eventually we went back up to Mong Kok, where the market on Lady Street was in full swing, and the surrounding streets were crammed with shoppers.  Lady Street is a good destination if you are looking for ubiquitous souvenirs like t-shirts, magnets, and key chains, as well as cheap electronics accessories and knockoff bags and jewellery.  Clem was looking for some new running shoes, so after walking the length of Lady Street we made our way to Sneakers Street.  The shops were jam packed with shoppers, and most were woefully understaffed, so we couldn't get a lot of help finding the styles and sizes we needed.  After doing some price comparison we just went back to the less crowded Langham Place to make the actual purchase.  Even if you aren't looking to buy anything, definitely take the time to wander around the streets of Mong Kok; you never know what you'll find!

My cold was killing me by late afternoon, so we grabbed egg waffles for the road and went back to the hostel for a nap.

I got up around dinnertime, so the two of us went out in search of food for a good last meal in Hong Kong.  We tried to get into the well-rated TeaWood in Carnarvon Plaza, but the line was (predictably) long for a Saturday night.  I normally would have waited, but I just wanted to eat and go back to bed.  The hot pot place next door had lots of seats available and I'd never actually had hot pot before (shameful, I know), so we decided to try it out.  I found that it was A LOT to finish for two people, especially since we wanted a variety of vegetables and meat; I would definitely go for hot pot again, but probably with a larger group.

Absolutely stuffed, we went back to the hostel, packed our bags for our 6am departure, and went to sleep.  And that's a wrap on our visit to Hong Kong!  I'd like to go back, but perhaps at a less intense time of year.

Coming up: posts about the Philippines!

Previous posts about HK: Arrival, Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3

xx, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment