Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Caroline vs. Berlin Street Style

Two summers ago I was really lucky to call Berlin my temporary home while I was doing a summer course.  I fell in love with the city and its history, and I also fell in love with its sense of style.  Parisian Chic and London Cool aren't popular looks in Berlin; Berliners have a style that is casually grunge but put together, as well as being fiercely independent.  I spent most of my time in the neighbourhoods of Kreuzberg and Prenzlauer Berg, where I noticed a lot of people mixing vintage with high street brands and boutique pieces.  These two neighbourhoods are popular with immigrants, young families, and students, so designer brands weren't something people really bothered with.  Women's Wear Daily recently did a roundup of 26 great examples of Berlin street style from Mitte, a neighbourhood more synonymous with tourists, high end stores, expensive restaurants, and offices, yet photographer Kuba Dabrowski didn't produce photos of people dashing about in perfectly fitted suites or decked out in luxury brands.  Instead, she found people who really exemplify the style of the every-day Berliner: basics layered with standout pieces that come together in a way that looks a little wrong, but still so right.  Here are some of my favourites, but click through to see more.









xx, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment