Monday, 25 June 2012

Caroline vs. Heatwave

It's been ridiculously hot in Toronto lately, so I've been doing everything I can to keep cool - difficult to do when I live and have class in buildings without air conditioning.  One thing I really like to do is see movies.  It can be a bit of an expensive habit, but if you know where to find deals or collect points you don't have to totally break the bank.

Credit

I saw Moonrise Kingdom a couple weeks ago.  I've always been kind of ambivalent about Wes Anderson - not that I don't think he's a great director, but that his movies have never really been among my favourites.  My boyfriend, on the other hand, is really into Anderson and wanted me to see Moonrise Kingdom with him, so I agreed.  And I ended up really liking it!  I'm a hopeless romantic, and I thought Suzy and Sam's love story was so cute and innocent, with a hint of tragedy in the way it links into Captain Sharp and Laura Bishop's relationship.  I also grew up with a father who is very into scouting, so that whole angle of the film reminded me of my dad (hi Daddy!), who I think would enjoy some of the quirks of the camp scenes.

Credit

Just before the weekend I was talked into seeing Rock of Ages by some friends of mine.  The idea of Tom Cruise being in this movie kind of turned me off it, but I'd bailed on my friend the previous two nights so I felt like I owed her a date.  By no means were we expecting this to be a good movie; we just wanted to go enjoy some classic rock.  Not only were a lot of the songs done very well, but the movie was also hilarious.  It wasn't a great film, per se, but we laughed.  A lot.  I don't want to spoil anything, but my favourite moments include Catherine Zeta-Jones' first musical appearance as Pactricia Whitmore, uptight wife of the newly elected mayor of Los Angeles, as well as the dynamic between Russel Brand's and Alec Baldwin's characters, Lonny and Dennis, owners of the Bourbon Room.  There are some hilarious plot twists, awesome music, and a great cast (I still hold my reservations about anything Tom Cruise appears in, but he worked the alcoholic/drug addict/sex addict/asshole rockstar thing pretty well) - definitely a good movie to see with friends.

Both movies are still in theatres - cinemaclock.com is a great way to cross reference times and theatres to find what best suits you, and discounts are awesome if you can find them - Tuesdays at Cineplex are always $4.99, and I know the Bloor Street Diner (in the Manulife Centre, Bay & Bloor, Toronto) offers a dinner and a movie package.

What movies have you seen lately?

xx, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment